Wednesday, February 9, 2011
what i have learnt about vegie gardening...
my garden over the weekend. I still have a whole bed of herbs going strong but had to pull out a lot of the vegie plants because of all the rain we had in Brisbane over summer. We got lots of cucumber, beans, corn and carrots but didn't have a lot of success with the zucchini, tomatoes or eggplant.
Here is a list of things I learnt through my first vegie gardening experiences...
- never underestimate the power of mulch - this stuff is amazing!
- pumpkin will take over your entire one acre block if it gets half a chance!
- homegrown sweetcorn is 1000 times better than supermarket corn!
- tomatoes are best grown on a sturdy teepee... not a flimsy little stake!
- cucumbers will grow through anything!
- I cannot grow ANYTHING in pots!
- keep a gardening journal...
- there is such a thing as TOO MUCH WATER!
At the moment the vegie beds are having a little rest and we are getting ready to plant again in a few weeks time :)
I'll keep you posted... xx
p.s - hi to all my new followers :) thanks for stopping by!